November 05, 2009

Stage Productions & Movies

How much do they echo real life? Am I mostly just escaping from the responsibilities I face? I find so many characters to whom I can relate; I'm sure that's often (if not, always) the director's aim. When I wonder where my place is, I can easily dive into the setting of a great show or flick and chill out with the leads; I rarely feel ostracized there. Interesting...


Can be sung to the tune of "Movies Were Movies"


Watching the stage and the screen
Gives me time to believe

In the Heights, Wicked, Cars,
Wall-E and All about Eve

Heroines Juno and Elle
Misanthropes trapped in a cell

Don't let reality stifle
The tales that they weave!




I feel like I know you; but then I guess that's the point...

Some stage and screen heroines to whom I can relate, for various reasons:

Elphaba Thropp, Wicked - Misunderstood!

Sandy Olsson, Grease - Identity crisis

Gabriella Montez, High School Musical - Tries not to prioritize a relationship, out of fear of being left with nothing

Euphegenia Doubtfire, Mrs. Doubtfire - (OK, yeah, not really a woman) Willing to think outside the box to be with kids

Lilli Vanessi 'Katharina', Kiss Me, Kate - Accepts being "tamed" with grace and dignity

Dorcas Gailen, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - Old school values

Nina Rosario, In the Heights - Wants to figure out who she's supposed to be, without disappointing anyone

Juno MacGuff, Juno - Turns what might have been a mistake into an adventure

Summer Finn, 500 Days of Summer - Has to admit that her whole theory of relationships was wrong

Julie Powell, Julie & Julia - Finds her winning formulas

Clarice Starling, The Silence of the Lambs - Doesn't let disgust or fear stop her

Donna Sheridan, Mamma Mia - Free-spirited and down to Earth

Lani Aliikai, Surf's Up - Well, she's a penguin - I mean, a lifeguard; I can relate to that

Wendy Darling, Peter Pan - Good babysitter & big sister

Elle Woods, Legally Blonde - Steadfast optimism

Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady - Pulls herself out of the gutter (with a bit of help)

Coraline Jones, Coraline - Brave kid who is smart enough to seek help in the right places

Sally Albright, When Harry Met Sally - Classic love story heroine?

Mary, Something about Mary - There's just something about her... Can stand up to her stalkers

Maria, Sound of Music - Finds her home and rises to meet the requirements

Beatrice Ann 'Bebe' Benson, A Chorus Line - Splendid dancer, perseveres

Jessie (Yodeling Cowgirl), Toy Story - On a mission to meet her obligations

Carol Connelly, As Good as it Gets - In search of a "normal" boyfriend

Arwen, Lord of the Rings - Dang good horseback rider

Vivian Ward, Pretty Woman - Maintains hope, in spite of huge odds stacked against her

Satine, Moulin Rouge - Tragic beauty

Maggie, In Her Shoes - Turns her shady ways around and begins taking responsibility

Natalie, Love Actually - Not afraid to hit on the Prime Minister!

Helen Parr (Elastigirl), The Incredibles - Powerful, loving mother and wife

Princess Leia Organa, Star Wars - Gorgeous, graceful and brave


A few quotes that resonate with me:

"People put you down enough, you start to believe it." - Pretty Woman

"It's like the sun shines on you, and it's glorious. And then he forgets you and it's very, very cold."

"When you have his attention you feel like you're the only person in the world. That's why everybody loves him so much." - The Talented Mr. Ripley

"Do you have any control over how creepy you allow yourself to get?" "Yes I do. And to prove it, I have not gotten personal and you have."

"You make me want to be a better man." - As Good as it Gets

No comments:

Post a Comment