June 10, 2016

Working through world news

Hopetown-lighthouse
Hope Town Lighthouse, Elbow Cay, Abaco, Bahamas by Dmadeo

I have been wishing for some guidance on how to maintain a personal calm while crazy stuff is happening overseas.

Today I thought, "Perhaps some of the advice I've gotten about other things in the past could apply to my present situation."
Maybe it can.

Some wise folks speaking at the Shambhala Meditation Centre of New York City have made their talks available in a podcast series, for which I am immensely grateful.  It's called Meditation in the City.  I hope to make a pilgrimage to the site someday and attend one of the Weekly Dharma Gatherings myself.  In the meantime, I listen, learn, and attempt to apply.

So, how should I act when others annoy me?  Well, Ethan Nichtern passed along some ideas from his teachers in the Buddhist tradition.  Start by choosing to get curious about the source of frustration and attempt growth.  Whenever I can remember that I'll never experience another sentient being's feelings directly, I may find it slightly less difficult to generate compassion, even as I feel a twinge of loneliness.  I think it was Lodro Rinzler who said that bit, actually.  Anyway, they both know their stuff!
Ethan spoke of the disappointment I could feel when I become aware that someone must take the high road, and I realise it is I.  If no one takes it, humanity's consciousness suffers the hit.  Knowledge offers me both power and responsibility.
What seems true, also, is the notion that happy people don't go around trying to cause conflict and pain for others.  Another way Ethan worded it once was, "I know you're suffering; that's why you did that stupid thing.  May you suffer less."  Occasionally I prefer the slightly more edgy, "Go love yourself."

Even with these kindness guidelines, I find news stories about poaching, murder, fraud, and rape really challenging.  I don't want to relocate under a box; yet, I feel powerless to "be the change I wish to see in the world" from here.  I avoid taking part in those activities myself and wouldn't pretend to approve of anyone's behaviour if they told me they did.  Even so, bringing up the topics in conversation seems like fear mongering or stirring up negativity unnecessarily.  I appreciate my isolation and the large number of aspects of my life which allow me to feel safe, peaceful, and abundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment