January 13, 2010

Customer Service













"So THAT'S why you got your degree -- to play with puzzles all day and clean them up!"

And I said nothing at all in response. Here are a few things I felt like saying, though:













"Hi, there. How are you? I'd like to introduce you to a close personal friend of mine I can tell you haven't met. He's called Tact. Yes, do us all a favor and, please, get to know him. Actually, have you and I even met? Oh, that's right. We HAVEN'T. So, what in the world gave you the idea that I'd like to hear your opinion about how I choose to spend my time and earn an honest living? Wait, I know this one: your lack of respect and consideration for humanity! I don't recall showing up at your place of work and harassing you about your career. Are you even employed? I wonder why you got your degree(s), if you have any."


Fortunately, I have had "classical" training in the ways of customer service, through Disney, FAO Schwarz and other cool companies. I find the four "Fish" principles helpful in trying situations. They are: Play, Make Their Day, Be There, and Choose Your Attitude. I'd guess that 'Choose Your Attitude' is the one I think about the most. The ideas of empowerment and not having to be a victim of circumstances resonate with me.

Like George McFly, I'd love to get better at confrontations and develop the confidence to think on my feet. How great would I feel speaking up in a friendly, perhaps ambiguous, way when faced with folks like the one quoted above. In this particular situation I thought a non-defensive answer could have been, "There are certain aspects of this job that are more difficult than others -- like when we host inconsiderate visitors, for example." If pressed for more clarity I could have added that not all visitors put things back as neatly as they find them, perhaps due to carelessness or a lack of respect for others who will use the space after they have gone.

I consider myself very lucky to go many, many days without meeting people whose attitude I consider extremely unreasonable. Today I felt humbled by the patient and respectful people I encountered. I love watching what I believe to be healthy family dynamics. Sometimes lousy weather brings out the best in people -- or maybe just the best people!


1 comment: